Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Women are more likely than men to be IYP users

I saw an interesting tool on another website today (it can be found at the link below). You activate this tool and it will go through your browser history, analyze the sites you've visited, and tell you if it thinks you're male or female. When I ran it, it said with 100% probability that I'm male (I am). But more interesting to me was the male/female ratios it displayed for various IYP/Local sites I've visited. Here they are:

  • Yellowpages.com - 0.72 male/female (1.38 women per man on that site)
  • Yelp - 0.77
  • Yellowbook - 0.8
  • ServiceMagic - 0.71
  • DexKnows - 0.79
  • Google - 0.98
As someone working in the local space online, this tells me that, across the board, 55-57% of our users are women. That's without any specific outreach effort to that group. Perhaps we should consider market more directly to them, or at least focus on the sites they're using, as they seem more predisposed to using us to start with.

Mike On Ads » Blog Archive » Using your browser URL history to estimate gender

No comments:

Post a Comment